Most of the time, the truck driver earns the blame in an accident involving a truck and another passenger vehicle. People would believe that the truck was the one liable due to its sheer size. But, contrary to what most people believe, truck drivers sometimes drive more carefully than private vehicle drivers.
All of the negative perceptions regarding trucks were refuted by agencies of the government that handle road concerns. Apparently, the truck drivers are actually the ones who fall victims to careless motorists who have no regard for their life or those of other people. This is according to the research conducted by the Federal Highway Administration’s Office of Motor Carriers (OMC).
In addition, OMC stated that in 2009 alone, there were already some 3,197 fatal crashes involving trucks. To show that the liability mostly resides on the violations committed by private motorists, the OMC also presented the following findings as to private motorists’ driving conducts:
· Trying to cross the lanes while close to a truck
· Driving in front of the truck but failing to accelerate afterwards
· Changing lanes while traveling along a truck (swerving)
· Driving at designated “no zones”
· Trying to pass with an insufficient headway
· Trying to turn with an insufficient headway
· Shifting lanes and afterwards stopping in front of the truck
· The driver was doing other things while driving the vehicle. This is particularly known as distracted driving. Some samples of distracted driving include using a handheld device such as cell phones or grooming using the mirror.
· Making a right turn while the car is still moving
· Not knowing that a truck is in the way
· Moving in the middle of two trucks while driving along the road
California is known throughout the whole country as the state with the most number of traffic accidents in a year. Because of this, it is important that drivers become educated on safe driving behaviors. On the other hand, if the accident was not prevented, motorists should hire the services of a personal injury lawyer in Los Angeles. This person would assist them regarding the right steps to undertake in order to prosecute the person who is liable for the accident.